All I Need to Know I Learned In...

Robert L. Fulghum author of All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten

We are familiar with the writing of Robert Fulghum, "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten", it's a brilliant poem about how we take the purest, simplest guidelines we learn in our entry years of life and realize if we practice the simple rules of life - we will be successful. But whenever I come across the poem- I also pause because it is missing one thing. One thing that is taught in Christian schools, in the home and at church. The love of Christ and his perfect plan for life...without this vital teaching all else is in vain.

When you are a Kindergartner, you can definitely be taught to;

Share everything.

Play fair.

Don't hit people.

Put things back where you found them.

Clean up your own mess.

Don't take things that aren't yours.

Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.

Wash your hands before you eat.



And yes - if we continue to do these things for the rest of our lives, we learn how to get along and "fit in" with our world. But without the genuine, unchanging love of Christ, it is impossible to continue in our own strength once the darts of the enemy start hitting us and attacking us.

I do appreciate the slant the author took with the poem, and after spending a couple of hours in our own Kindergarten classrooms yesterday, I am so thankful that our learning doesn't STOP THERE!

If we as Christ followers were writing this poem today, it would be entitled, "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in...my home, my church and my school."

Has life been throwing darts at you? Have you forgotten to apply some of the simplest of rules to your mind, actions and words? Take a moment today to talk with your children, get back to some of the basics and most important of all, make sure to put Christ and His redeeming love in the center of it all.

WHEN TO START

Ere a child has reached to seven

Teach him all the way to heaven; 

Better still the work will thrive

If he learns before he's FIVE. 

C.H Spurgeon





Comments