Borrowing from Mission Schultz

So often as I think about what to blog....I sigh because writing is not my nature.  TALKING is my nature! (If you know me, you are whole heartedly agreeing with me right now.) Sometimes the Lord moves in mysterious ways - and this month - as the day rolled around for me to write something - my daughter published her blog (http://missionschultz.blogspot.com/)  My daughter, Abby attended Lincoln Christian from Kindergarten through seventh grade at LCS and is closer in age to most of my reading audience than I am - so I thought it might be fun to share (just this once) what the Lord gave her with you!  I love reading her thoughts and pray that God will bless you as you take a peek into her life as a young mother of two and wife of a teacher/AD in Cedar Rapids Iowa.  



John Out Loud


Alright, I definitely am out of the practice of dissecting Scripture. You'd think after 4 years of Bible school it would be naturally ingrained in my mind and I would desire to read book after book after book on one verse...nope. I packed up my theology books, reference books and everything else books in a big ol' box and have maybe opened it a hand full of times in the last 3 years. 

But one thing from Bible school stayed with me: reading the Gospels out loud, and repetitively. Now, again, my memory fails me on exactly WHY reading out loud and repetitively was asked of us, other than common sense tells me that it will help us remember it better and make it 'come alive.'

This summer I started in John. Why? Because, Craig said he was in the process of going through John and I wanted to be just like him. <3 Maybe not the best reason, but it's my reason and I'm sticking to it. He listens to it on audio in the car, on repeat, until he feels ready to move to the next chapter. I lay Marie down, set Josh up with a show or activity that won't require my constant supervision, grab a cup of coffee, curl up on the couch and open my Bible. If I tried to listen to the Bible while driving...the version I'd hear would have a whole lot more, "Momma! Look, please! Trains! Big truck! More trucks, peas? MOMMA! Joshua need more 'ilk peeeeeas!" and then I think my theology would shift and Craig would probably wonder what happened to the girl he met at Bible school who used to think the same way he did. So, I don't listen in the car.

I am seeing a lot of benefits come from reading this book of John in the morning, rather than waiting until afternoon nap time. For example, on days I am reading out loud, Josh often doesn't want me to stop and will sometimes sit on my lap and point to the words as if he knew where I was reading. He doesn't talk about it later, or ask questions, he just accepts it and wants to be part of it when it happens. He sees his momma daily ( flexible use of the word daily) reading the same book, and hears truth even if he doesn't understand it. If anything else- it's showing him discipline, right? That's what I tell myself at least. :)

Another benefit is that God is, through His Word, breaking off pieces of my heart that need to go. He is also pouring new understanding (without the text books and theology books) where the bad pieces were and laying the foundation for new growth. This is a painful, humbling process and encompasses nearly all aspects of my life. But, I want to know Him daily. I want His Word to be fresh on my heart every day, in every moment (especially during unsuccessful potty training moments).

Our church has been going through a series called "Follow" and it is a journey through Mark. So, it's pretty fitting for me to be going to John at the same time. Anyway, on Sunday, our Pastor said, "Stop striving to be the person you think God wants you to be, and start listening to what He is saying." Now, anyone from NCBC can correct that quote if it is off, but that struck me. I can think God wants me to be one thing, when in reality it could just be selfish ambition. So, more pieces of the heart break off (AKA sin getting acknowledged and accepting God's forgiveness and love). The journey to becoming more like Him. Stop striving. Start listening. Live full, abundant life.

" Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name." - John 20:30-31

The purpose of this book, the Bible, is so that we- you, me and even little Josh- would believe without seeing, that we would believe Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God....AND HAVE LIFE.


If you are looking for life- real, abundant, full, not always easy but not always hard- look no farther than His living Word. And, I encourage you to read a gospel out loud. It will change the way you've read it in the past and give you fresh perspective. 

Comments