Find Joy in the Ordinary

I'll admit it, I'm old.  OK, maybe "older"...but I admit I miss the days without cell phones in every hand, without laptops on every lap and all the distraction that it brings.  I'm including myself in that mix, I'm guilty of being attached to both.

When we were growing up on the farm, all seven of us were required to eat at the table in the tiny kitchen nook and we were hemmed in until dismissed.  Even with the busy farm life, we stopped to eat together and many wonderful memories were made around that table with my family during and after supper. Mom often read a chapter of some book (the one I remember best was the story of Brother Andrew) and sometimes we would go around the table one child at a time sharing something about our day.  I miss those days, and am so grateful for the wonderful memories.

We recently implemented "Table Time" for our two teens in the home, so much time was being wasted on video gaming, cell phones and TV.  So, after supper together the boys are tortured into sitting with me at the table for a minimum of 30 minutes doing homework.  If they don't have any, they still have to sit there (which is even more painful if forced to talk with me) so every night they find something to pull out of those backpacks to work on! The first night of table time was a complete blessing.  For one thing, my husband offered to do the dishes while I sat with the boys, then the time ended up in a deep discussion about a verse in the bible that would have otherwise not been discussed I'm sure.

So - my challenge to you parents, no matter what the ages of your children is to MAKE time and TAKE time to connect.  Electronic free if possible, and make some memories for your children to look back on when they are old.  Find JOY in the ordinary and enjoy the blessings of family.





If today were your last, would you do what you’re doing? Or would you love more, give more, forgive more? Then do so! Forgive and give as if it were your last opportunity. Love like there’s no tomorrow, and if tomorrow comes, love again. – Max Lucado


Comments